A Belgian man died in a shooting on Monday evening in the Beekkant district of the Brussels municipality of Molenbeek-Saint-Jean.
The information was reported by the Brussels-West Police Zone and the public prosecutor’s office.
Police officials informed around 8;40, the police were called to a shooting incident on the Rue Dubois-Thorn, in the Beekkant neighbourhood.
When the police reached the crime scene, they found a wounded boy, who died immediately at the spot, and then a high-security perimeters were installed afterwards.
It has been identified that the deceased is a 20-year-old man, who was shot while he was sitting in the passenger seat of the vehicle, Brussels public prosecutor Martin Francios said, “We have requested an investigating judge for manslaughter.”
“The public prosecutor went to the scene with the investigating judge, a ballistics expert, a medical examiner and people from the federal police’s forensics laboratory,” he said.
The public prosecutor’s office will not comment further as the investigation is ongoing. This is the ninth reported shooting in the municipality since September, Francios added.
Last week, a similar incident also took place in the Chaussée de Merchtem Molenbeek: when the police arrived on the scene, they found a victim with a gunshot wound to the leg. His life was not in danger.
According to the sources, last week’s shooting was already the second, occurring on the same street since October. In nearby streets such as the Rue de l’Ecole, Rue du Presbytère and Rue de Menin, shooting incidents have also taken place in the last six months.